Music in Grand Rapids
Multiplatinum recording artists Marvin Sapp and Brian Vander Ark, both area residents, can tell you that Grand Rapids is a great place to make music. The city boasts a thriving local music scene and a broad range of excellent performance venues that host some of the biggest names in the music business.
Want to get a taste of the local music scene? Listen right now to WYCE, an independent, community radio station serving the communities of Grand Rapids and West Michigan. Experience our local music passion through interviews with artists, in-studio performances, album reviews, and where to find great local music.
Don't miss these music events!
Ideas for the Music Lover!
Did someone say “Free jazz in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids?” GRandJazzFest did! Presented by DTE Energy Foundation, this two-day jazz spectacular returns August 15 and 16 to Rosa Parks Circle ,
You don't have to go to the biggest cities to see the biggest stars. Everyone from Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift to Bruno Mars and Bruce Springsteen puts Grand Rapids on their tour schedule. See your favorites - without the hassles of traveling to Detroit or Chicago - at:
- Van Andel Arena, one of the world's top 10 highest-grossing mid-size arenas, hosts the biggest, most spectacular tours.
- DeVos Performance Hall is a smaller, Broadway-style theater catering to more specialized musical tastes.
- Fifth Third Summer Concerts at Meijer Gardens is an annual series of concerts featuring the finest national and international musicians in a stunning outdoor setting.
- St. Cecilia Music Center presents world-class jazz, chamber music and folk musicians in a first-class music hall.
- Forest Hills Fine Arts Center offers an annual subscription series of traveling concert shows.
A wide variety of smaller venues host a mix of national, regional and local favorites. The freshest cutting-edge acts are liable to appear at The Intersection, The Pyramid Scheme and The Orbit Room. Many bars and restaurants also offer live music.
Grand Rapids Symphony
One of the crown jewels of the local culture scene, the Grammy®-nominated Grand Rapids Symphony presents more than 400 performances each year, playing everything from the classics to today's top hits. They Symphony also accompanies Opera Grand Rapids and Grand Rapids Ballet Company performances.
Summer never sounded so sweet as it does in Grand Rapids, thanks to a genre-busting lineup of concert series at outdoor venues, including:
- Fifth Third Summer Concerts at Meijer Gardens (all musical genres)
- B-93 Birthday Bash (country)
- Blues on the Mall
- City Lights Music Festival (electronica)
- Picnic Pops (symphony)
- Actors' Theatre specializes in the very latest off-Broadway fare
- Broadway Grand Rapids offers touring productions of big Broadway shows
- Circle Theatre presents three main-stage musicals every summer, plus a host of concerts spotlighting local theatrical talent (and what talent it is!)
- Grand Rapids Civic Theatre, one of America's oldest and largest community theatres, stages big, crowd-pleasing productions of well-known favorites.