Est. 1906 (playground) 1918 (park)
In 1906, Julia Fletcher and Charles Garfield gave land for the Fletcher-Garfield playground. In 1918, Garfield donated 15 additional acres of woodland containing trees he’d planted; these two gifts were combined into present-day Garfield Park.
A leading proponent of reforestation, Garfield’s ashes are buried beneath a grove of trees at the park. There is a small marker at the base of a Sycamore Tree. It is located next to the Garfield Lodge parking lot, and directly east of the Garfield Memorial. The marker reads: “Memory Tree, Chas. W. Garfield, Useful Citizen, Lover of Trees.” There is also a large boulder that bears his name.
A new playground was installed at Garfield Park in 2010 as part of the Hands Across the City event in partnership with KaBOOM! The non-functioning pool was removed from the park that same year.
- Park Type: City
- Picnic Area:
- Ball Diamond:
- Open Shelter:
- Sand Volleyball:
- Tennis Courts: