I have decided to take the labor out of making Labor Day plans in Grand Rapids. I know, I know. Predictable pun. But although my jokes may disappoint, Grand Rapids rarely does. Enjoy the last weekend of summer!
- Soul of the City: Start your weekend off with a music festival to enjoy downtown in Rosa Parks Circle. This one has a 70s and 80s R&B flair. It begins Friday night at 4pm until 10pm and continues Saturday and Sunday from noon until 10pm. Tickets are free, but for only $10 you can sit in the VIP section and get discounted drink and food tickets. All tickets benefit The Buster Mathis Foundation which fights against violence and bullying for children. Get the full line up here.
- Berlin Raceway Championship Tune-Up: Saturday night head just outside of Grand Rapids to Marne and the Berlin Raceway. The actual championship Coors Light Super Late Models race starts at 7pm, but you can watch practice starting at 1pm. Enjoy dollar beer happy hour from 5-7pm. The Late Models will be joined by Sportsman, Modifieds, 4-Cylinders and VROA Vintage Racers. Best part is how affordable it is for the whole family. Adults pay $12, but children 11 and under are free. Get a full schedule here.
- Grand Crossings: Join Mayor Heartwell and thousands of Grand Rapidians for this annual Labor Day walk around downtown Grand Rapids. Beginning at 8am on Monday at Ah-Nab-Awen Park, walk the 5 mile trek around the bridges that cross the Grand River. You can walk the full 5 mile route or pick and choose which parts of the route you want to traverse. Participation is free and you will even get snacks. Come get healthy with Grand Rapids!
- Labor Fest 2012: Another music festival for the weekend, this time in front of the Gerald Ford Museum at Ah-Nab-Awen Park. Admission is free with live music, fun activities for kids including a ferris wheel, face painting and bouncy houses, arts and crafts tent and a classic car show. Of course there will be great food vendors and a beer tent. Get a full listing of events here.
- Craig's Cruisers Wristband Day: Want a great way to get in quality family time at a deep discount. Head to Craig's Cruisers on Labor Day and purchase a wristband for only $20. That will allow you unlimited attractions including go-karts, mini-golf, bumper boats, laser tag and more. Plus you get three hour access to the all you can eat buffet.