Who doesn't love a good time for free? We've rounded up some no-cost Grand Rapids experiences that you can enjoy without breaking the bank:
- Visit the Grand Rapids Art Museum for free on Meijer Free Tuesdays from 10-5 and Meijer Free Thursday nights from 5-9. Check out the galleries and experience guided tours and other programs offered by the museum without opening your wallet.
Grand Rapids Art Museum (GRAM)
Photo Credit: Experience Grand Rapids
- After an over two-year absence, the oversized tire swing is back at Calder Plaza. Part of a 12-ton work of art created by sculptor Mark di Suvero and installed in 1977, the sculpture titled "Motu Viget" stands 30 feet high. The tire swing that hangs on it measures 7 feet across, perfect for more than one to enjoy at the same time.
- Free Movies in the Park are back June 3 on a giant screen in Ah-Nab-Awen Park. Enjoy a family friendly movie along the Grand River every other Friday June through August. Bring your blanket, snacks and drinks for a memory making evening everyone will enjoy.
Movies in the Park 2017
Photo Credit: Brian Kelly Photography
- Take advantage of a beautiful summer day and explore the nineteenth and early-twentieth-century architecture on a Self-Guided Walking Tour of Heritage Hill. This free brochure highlights the neighborhood's architectural diversity that represents nearly every style of American architecture from Greek Revival to Prairie. With nearly 40 homes on the tour, you are guaranteed great views and great exercise.
Want to keep walking? Then check out the Downtown Self-Guided Walking Tour. The ten-block downtown walking tour takes you by museums, the historic Blue Bridge and of course takes you past a coffee shop or two.
- Take a breather, and maybe a picnic, and watch the planes take off and land at Grand Rapids International Airport Viewing Area. Be sure to tune your radio to 1650 AM and listen to air traffic controllers do their job. The viewing area is open daily from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM with picnic tables ready for you to enjoy.