Grand Rapids Symphony's Coffee Classics Romantic Concert
- Dates: February 22, 2019
- Times: Starts at 10:00 AM
St. Cecilia Music Center
24 Ransom Ave. NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Phone: (616) 454-9451
- Category: Music
- Price Per Person: Tickets start at $16 adults, $5 students
Marcelo Lehninger, conductor
William McGregor, double bass (winner of the 2017 Stulberg International String Competition)
• ROSSINI: Overture to L’italiana in Algeri (The Italian Girl in Algiers)
• BOTTESINI: Concerto for Double Bass
• MENDELSSOHN: Symphony No. 4, “Italian”
The 19th century Italian Giovanni Bottesini, known as the “Paganini of the Double Bass” for his acclaimed virtuosity, composed music especially to show off his considerable skills as a soloist. William McGregor, the winner of the 2017 Stulberg International String Competition in Kalamazoo, is guest soloist in this program of music by two Italian composers plus Mendelssohn’s Symphony No. 4, which the German composer wrote to evoke the sights and sounds of Italy.
Concert starts at 10:00 a.m. Complimentary coffee and donut hour begins at 9:00 a.m.