-Host Gabriella de la Vega of El Mundo Musical
-DJ Ace Marasigan
-Dance performance by Bird Clarkson
-Meet Donkey at the Chamberlin Pony Rides Petting Zoo!
-Complete an intercept survey for a chance to win $50 to Downtown Market Grand Rapids and other great prizes!
-More details to come!
7:30 PM Shrek (PG)
Hidden Figures (PG) will begin shortly after the first film ends.
*Movies will be played in English with English subtitles for our community with hearing impairments.
Shrek is brought to you by Kent County Foster Care Licensing Coalition, Experience Grand Rapids and Michigan First Credit Union. Hidden Figures is brought to you by Experience Grand Rapids and MI First Credit Union. Movies on Monroe Star Partners include Linc Up, the Latino Community Coalition, Disability Advocates of Kent County and the Grand Rapids Pride Festival 2018.
The #MoviesOnMonroe series is produced by Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. in partnership with MSU Gran Fondo, Studio C - Grand Rapids, Driving Change - Grand Rapids, Monroe North Business Association - Grand Rapids, MI, Mobile GR, The City of Grand Rapids, The Rapid, Local First West Michigan, Grand Rapids Community Media Center, Charlesbrook Protection Services, Grand Rapids Food Truck Association, Kent County Health Connect - Tobacco Free Parks, WYCE and LiveSpace.
*All pre-movie entertainment is free unless stated otherwise.
*Affordable chair rental provided by Friends of Grand Rapids Parks available on-site.
*Please remember the movie is always weather dependent.
*Local food vendors available on-site.
*This event may be photographed.
Movie Night Basics
- All events are held at 555 Monroe Ave NW in the Monroe North neighborhood of Downtown Grand Rapids.
- Events are free to the public.
- Pre-movie programming begins at 6:30 PM, first film to start at 7:30 PM followed by the second shortly after the first ends.
- Bring your own chairs, beer, wine and snacks.
- Affordable chair rental provided by Friends of Grand Rapids Parks available on-site.
- Local food vendors will be on-site.
Movie Night Tips
To help movie goers enjoy the night out under the stars, here are a few quick tips:
- The space fills up fast, so get there early for the best spots.
- If you choose to drive, plan ahead for parking to avoid wasting time looking for a space. There are 1,000s of public parking spots available in the Monroe North neighborhood within walking distance of Movies on Monroe.
- Free bike parking is available at the event, sponsored by Driving Change.
- The DASH North bus drops you off and picks you up right in front of the event. DASH North route runs late on event nights, ensuring you a good park-n-ride experience.
- 4 Rapid bus routes drop you off within an under 5 minute walk to the event.
- Costumes are encouraged.
- Nothing beats an ice cold one on a warm summer night. If you'd like to partake, be sure to bring your own drinks and picture ID.
- While packing up, you might as well make it a picnic in the lot. If you forget food at home, vendors will have snacks for purchase.
- You'll be outside for a few hours, so get comfy. We suggest bringing chairs to sit on. Shorter chairs up front, taller chairs in the back. Affordable chair rental provided by Friends of Grand Rapids Parks available on-site.
- Those under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- You may love your ringtone, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. Please silence your phones.
- This is a smoke-free event series.
- If you need to talk during the movie, please keep your voices low.
- The event is weather dependent. Follow Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on social media to stay up-to-date.
- Alternating nights of English and Spanish subtitles for Spanish-speaking attendees and people with hearing impairments. Spanish subtitles will accompany films played on June 22, July 20 and August 18. English subtitles will accompany films played on June 8, July 6 and August 3.
- Movies will play on 400-square foot LED video wall presented in partnership with LiveSpace.
- Food trucks will be on the scene and various snacks will be available for purchase at the event.
- All events are weather dependent. Stay tuned to DGRI channels for updates.