Off-Shore and On the Beach
- Dates: July 7, 2017 - July 8, 2017
- Next Occurrence Jul 7, 2017
- Recurring every 9 weeks on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Times: See website for times.
Grand Rapids Art Museum
101 Monroe Center NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Phone: (616) 831-1000
- Category: Exhibitions
- Price Per Person: Free for members, free with admission. Adults: $10.00, Seniors/Students (w/ID): $8.00, Youth (6-17): $6.00, Children (5 and under): Free.
This year’s statewide exhibition, organized by the Detroit Institute of Arts, juxtaposes two 19th century seaside scenes by French painters Èdouard Manet and William Adolphe Bouguereau from the DIA’s world-renowned collection. The subject of figures by the seashore was of great interest to many 19th century painters, though approaches to the theme were quite varied. This exhibition provides the opportunity to compare a sketchy, impressionistic painting by Manet alongside the meticulously realistic canvas by Bouguereau, as well as the chance to view a number of paintings and works on paper from GRAM’s own collection featuring the same shore-side theme.
This exhibition has been organized by the Detroit Institute of Arts.