Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration Week : NOWISTHETIME Speaker : Yusef Salaam
- Dates: January 20, 2020
- Times: Jan 20th @ 2:00 - Jan 22 at 4:30 PM
Grand Valley State University
1 Campus Drive, Allendale, MI 49401
- Phone: (616) 331-2550
- Category: Black History Month
- Price Per Person: Free
The theme of the 2020 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration Week is #NowIsTheTime. The phrase comes from King's 1963 speech, "I Have a Dream," delivered on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.
In the speech, King asks for urgency in righting wrongs against Blacks from slavery to the Jim Crow era.
He said: "Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God’s children."
COMMEMORATION WEEK EVENTS:
Monday, January 20
• 10 a.m.-Noon: Upcycling, Kirkhof Center, Pere Marquette Room
• 11 a.m.-Noon: Panel Discussion, Kirkhof Center, room 2215/2216
• Noon-1:15 p.m.: Free Campus Lunch, Kirkhof Center, Grand River Room
• 1:30 p.m.: Silent March to Fieldhouse, Assemble at Zumberge Hall
• 2 p.m.: Keynote Presentation by Yusef Salaam, Fieldhouse Arena
Wednesday, January 22
• 3-4 p.m.: Workshop by Cedric Taylor: "Film As Activism: Documentary Filmmaking With Your Smartphone"
Kirkhof Center, Pere Marquette Room
• 4:30 p.m.: Keynote Presentation, "A Dream Still Deferred: Environmental (In)Justice and the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr." by Cedric Taylor
Kirkhof Center, Grand River Room
Saturday, January 25
• 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.: MLK Jr. Day of Service and Solidarity; Coordinated by the Community Service Learning Center, volunteers will hear a keynote presentation then participate in service projects with area partners. Meet at the Cook-DeWitt Center. Transportation and lunch provided. Register online at gvsu.edu/service.