The Beltline Bar was opened in 1953 by George Wilkinson. Beltline Bar was a fitting name considering 28th Street was commonly referred to by Grand Rapidians as "The Beltline." When Tony Rutkowski acquired the restaurant in 1964, the establishment only seated 42 people in a single 60' x 30' room. At this time, a total of 3 employees served beer, wine, popcorn & chili dogs, which were the house specialty. In 1966, a liquor license was acquired and Tony's son Jerry developed recipes for a number of Mexican specialties, including the WORLD FAMOUS WET BURRITO.
Home of the world-famous wet burrito, this Mexican café offers a huge selection of dishes for every taste and appetite.
Legend has it that the Beltline Bar invented the wet burrito in 1966. It remains the most popular item on an extensive menu of Mexican and American dishes.