Bishop Baraga Sculpture
- Outside the Cathedral of Saint Andrew
- 301 Sheldon Ave. SE
- Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Bishop Baraga brought Catholicism to Grand Rapids when Michigan’s second largest city was barely a village. Baraga is known as the "Snowshoe Priest” for his trappings across Michigan’s wilderness. He is mostly associated with missionary work in the Upper Peninsula, but his second mission in the New World was established in 1833 in a cornfield west of the Grand River near present day Saint Mary's Catholic Church.