- Picnic Area:
- Park Type: City
Est. early 1900′s
Reservoir Park is the upper section of Belknap Park, but often referred to as Lookout Park.
The site of the city’s first reservoir (1874), Belknap Park was renamed in 1932 to honor Civil War veteran Capt. Charles Belknap. The park was further developed as part of a WPA project in the 1930′s and in the early 1960′s. Approximately 2 million cubic yards of earth were removed from the park and used for freeway construction through downtown. In the 1970′s Grand Rapids Project X, an earthwork sculpture created by artist Robert Morris, was cut in the hillside.