Join Our Team
Experience Grand Rapids is growing - just like the city we're promoting. As the organization charged with marketing Grand Rapids to meeting planners and visitors, we're looking for people who share our enthusiasm and excitement for this major-cool metropolis. We offer great working conditions, excellent salary and benefits, and the unequaled perk of living in a city that does more to support creativity than just about any city, anywhere. (Don't take our word for it - check out why Lonely Planet named Grand Rapids and the Lake Michigan Gold Coast the #1 place to visit in 2014!).
Employment Type: Regular Part-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Experience Grand Rapids (EXGR) is the destination marketing organization for Kent County and Grand Rapids, Michigan. As such, the organization promotes the fun attributes that make Kent County an exciting place to visit like craft beverages, arts & culture, outdoor recreation, food and more. Since EXGR is a promoter of awesome things to do, the company culture is relaxed and friendly, while passionate and hard-working to reach the goal of filling the hotels and attractions with visitors and convention attendees.
Airport Ambassadors at the Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GFIA) are an extension of the services provided by Experience Grand Rapids. Ambassadors contribute to the mission of organization by providing a positive first impression and excellent customer service to airport travelers and visitors.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsibilities include providing directions to gate locations, baggage claim, ticket counters, baggage carousels, ground transportation, and assisting with information about West Michigan attractions, restaurants, and hotels
- Empathize with and prioritize customer needs and provide appropriate solutions
- Ensure the highest possible level of customer service when resolving problems that passengers are experiencing at either the GFIA Visitor Information Center or by roaming high visitor traffic areas throughout the airport
- Answer all incoming GFIA Visitor Information Center phone calls
- Answer questions regarding both the GFIA and the Grand Rapids/Kent County area
- Interact with passengers and visitors in a courteous and cheerful manner and take the initiative to assist visitors who look distressed or lost
- Maintain a well-informed working knowledge of the destination's airport, highways, transportation systems, public and private attractions and recreation areas, events, weather conditions and accommodations, acts as a liaison between these entities and the visitor
- Aid passengers and visitors with special language assistance, if able
- Report safety concerns, broken or out-of-order equipment to GFIA facilities to ensure potential hazards are removed, repaired, or corrected
- Continually observe the actions and activities going on in the immediate area in order to report instances or unusual behavior or unsafe activity
- Additional duties and projects as assigned
- Ability to function in a stressful environment
- Frequent telephone, computer, and iPad use
- Be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time during the shift.
- Must be able to move equipment weighing up to 20 pounds
- Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential tasks
- High School education and/or customer service work experience
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Work successfully in a team environment as well as independently to solve customer issues
- Work effectively across a variety of communication channels: in-person, phone, email, live-chat, social media, etc.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills with a diverse customer base
- Effective analytical, decision making and problem-solving skills
- Possess knowledge of West Michigan tourism information
- This role is for the evening shift 8:30pm-12:00am for a rotating schedule 4 days each week to include weekdays, weekends, and some holidays.
- Starting pay is $13.00 per hour
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Send your resume to Patty Delaney, Events & Guest Experience Manager at email@example.com.
Experience Grand Rapids is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.