With over 90 music venues, Grand Rapids has an impressive music scene that offers many places to dance the night away.
Experience Grand Rapids polled their followers on social media to find out the best places in town to “cut a rug.”
Here’s what they had to say:
Stella's Lounge has two separate sections: the main section that plays a variety of rock music, and Stella's Back Lounge, which features a DJ on the weekends.
Photo by Experience Grand Rapids
A go-to favorite for locals and tourists, Stella’s Lounge is known for its award-winning stuffed burgers, large whiskey selection, arcade games, and now, one of the most highly impressive dance floors in town.
Stella’s Back Room Dance Party happens every Friday and Saturday night from 10 PM to 2 AM. DJ Kermit spins everything from the 70’s and up, and there is no cover charge for guests over 21 years old. Guests under 21 years old are not permitted.
Although Billy’s is deeply rooted in Blues, performances from all genres can be heard blazing from its stage on any given night.
Photo by Experience Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids’ Uptown neighborhood is the perfect destination for a walkable night out thanks to its restaurants, bars, breweries, and clubs all within a few blocks of each other.
Billy’s Lounge is a top dancing spot in Uptown and offers a variety of music genres depending on which night you visit:
- Billy’s features Blues bands beginning at 9:30 PM every Friday and Saturday. Guests over 21 years old must pay a $10 cover charge.
- Sundays are for the beloved 80’s music! Guests over 21 years old must pay $2 cover charge from 9 PM to midnight, or entry is free with a college ID.
- Mondays are all about electronic music, plus there’s no cover charge.
- A DJ spins music from the early 2000’s every Tuesday. Guests over 21 years old must pay $2 cover charge after 11 PM.
- Wednesdays are Latin Night and for $5 you can get a “Fuego” dance lesson from 8 to 9 PM and avoid paying a cover charge later on. Otherwise, a $5 cover charge for guests over 21 years old begins at 9 PM. DJs spin Latin music beginning at 9:30 PM.
- Guests can dance to songs from years past every Thursday for Throwback Thursdays. Guests over 21 years old must pay a $10 cover charge from 9 PM to midnight, or $5 with a college ID.
Billy’s Lounge offers Happy Hour discounts every Monday from 3 PM to Midnight, and every Tuesday through Friday from 3 to 9 PM. Guests under 21 years old are not permitted at Billy’s Lounge.
Rumors Night Club
Rumors Night Club is another conveniently walkable dancing destination located in the Heartside neighborhood near downtown.
Known as Grand Rapids’ most popular gay bar and dance club, Rumors is open every night with a variety of specials throughout the week:
- Rumor’s features 80’s and 90’s music at 10 PM every Wednesday.
- Every Thursday is College Night beginning at 10 PM. A $3 cover charge is applied for guests over 21 years old, and a $10 cover charge is applied for guests 18-20 years old.
- Fridays are Fab Fridays, and feature the current pop hits played by DJ Monica Parker and DJ Timmy T beginning at 10 PM.
- The dance floor opens at 10 PM every Saturday for Sizzlin’ Saturdays.
- Lastly, line dancing lessons are offered every Sunday from 6 to 9 PM for Stomping Sundays. Line dancing lessons are followed by Rumor’s Drag Show beginning at 10 PM.
Grand Woods Lounge
The Grand Woods Lounge is a fan-favorite thanks to its wooded-lodge decor, but vibrant atmosphere.
The Woods features live musicians who play a wide variety of genres every Friday night from 10 PM to 2 AM, and local DJs spin current hits every Saturday from 10 PM to 2 AM.
The Woods offers Happy Hour specials on food and drinks every Monday to Friday from 2 to 6 PM.
On Friday nights, cover charge is $5 for guests over 21 years old. Cover charges fluctuate on Saturdays from $5-10 depending on what time you arrive. Guests under 21 years old are not permitted at Grand Woods Lounge.
The Twisted Bull offers live country music every Friday and Saturday from 9:30 PM to 1 AM, along with free mechanical bull rides from 9:30 PM to 1:30 AM.
The Twisted Bull has nightly specials for entertainment, drinks, and food:
- Line dancing lessons are offered from 7 PM to 9 PM every Thursday for “Twisted Fun Thursdays”
- Every Monday games of pool are free from 9 PM to 1 AM
- Karaoke is offered every Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9:30 PM to 1:30 AM
Guests under 21 years old are not permitted at the Twisted Bull. Guests over 21 years old must pay a $2 cover charge on Friday and Saturday.
The Holiday Bar
Nestled in Grand Rapids’ West Side neighborhood, The Holiday Bar recently underwent a complete renovation. The bar now boasts an indoor bar, outdoor patio bar and bier garden, and plethora of TVs. Get your “dance on” every Friday and Saturday night from 10 PM to 2 AM with DJs spinning current hits.
Guests under 21 years old are not permitted in The Holiday Bar after 8 PM unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
The Holiday Bar also offers happy hour every Monday to Thursday from 4 to 7 PM, in addition to other specials throughout the week.
These are just a few of the ‘hottest’ dance floors in Grand Rapids. Dance on, Grand Rapids!
This was originally written by Lyndsay Daly. Please check with individual businesses to confirm days and times as they may have changed.