Development in Grand Rapids
The nation’s 3rd best economy. The 2nd best large city for starting a business. The #1 job market in the U.S. These are just a few of the economic heights Grand Rapids has scaled in the last few years … and they’re not the only things rising to new levels here. The city’s economic vitality is fueling an unprecedented surge in capital development.
These new developments are part of what we’re calling A Grand Investment – and they’re paying impressive dividends for both residents and visitors. Here’s just a sampling of projects that are augmenting the $3 billion of construction value the city has added since 2000:
AC Hotel by Marriott. The original brick façade of a 127-year-old building in the heart of downtown is being restored and the interior is being transformed into a 130-room hotel. Opens spring 2019.
Canopy by Hilton. This 138-room hotel is part of downtown’s Studio Park development, which will also include a nine-screen move complex. Open mid to late 2019.
Hinman Tower. A 120-room hotel will occupy part of a 42-story building, the tallest every constructed in Grand Rapids. Opening TBD.
Hyatt Place Grand Rapids. A 12-story hotel with 160 rooms and suites will occupy one of twin towers being built in the midst of downtown’s entertainment district. Opens 2019.
Embassy Suites by Hilton. This seven-story, 246-room hotel overlooks the Grand River on the near-north side of downtown. Opens summer 2019.
Suburban Hotels. The building boom extends to surrounding communities, with new properties including a Courtyard by Marriott, Holiday Inn Express, TownePlace Suites by Marriott and Days Inn.
West Side Corridor
- Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, Michigan’s second most popular tourist attraction, has launched a $115 million expansion project.
- A project to restore the rapids in downtown’s Grand River aims to enhance water and riverfront recreation opportunities.
- Downtown’s Studio Park complex will include a nine-screen movie theater, 138-room hotel, apartments, office space and a 750-space parking ramp.
- Calder Plaza, a downtown public square, is being redesigned to increase access and utility – new amenities include a splash pad water feature.
Business & Residential
- Switch renovated one of the city’s most iconic buildings into the largest, most advanced data center in the Eastern U.S. in 2017 – and the technology infrastructure ecosystem company is planning additional expansions.
- Grand Valley State University is adding to its portfolio of downtown properties with a new health science building along the Medical Mile – a $2 billion life-sciences corridor.
- More than 4,050 new residential units have been added to the city of Grand Rapids since 2001.
- A downtown apartment boom has drawn more than 7,000 residents city-center housing since the 2013 census.
- Grand Rapids Glossary
- History of Grand Rapids
- President Ford & Betty Ford
- Facts & Trivia
- Grand Rapids Regions
- Beach Towns
Colleges & Universities
- Aquinas College
- Calvin College
- Central Michigan University
- Cooley Law School
- Cornerstone University
- Davenport University
- Ferris State
- Grace Bible College
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Grand Valley State University
- Kendall College of Art & Design
- Kuyper College
- MSU College of Medicine
- Secchia Institute for Culinary Ed
- Western Michigan University
- People of Grand Rapids
- GR Recognitions
- Green Grand Rapids
- Grand Rapids Blog
- Contact Us