Fall Color Tour
West Michigan's abundant forests helped fuel Grand Rapids' rise as "furniture capital of the world" in the late 19th-early 20th centuries. While many hardwoods were sacrificed to sawmills in those years, Grand Rapids remains a tree-lover's paradise.
Here, the mighty Grand River creates a lush growing environment for maples, oaks, birches, aspens, sumacs and more. They grow tall and proud, exploding every fall in a dazzling mix of reds, yellows, golds and oranges. These colors stand out in sharp relief against a background of evergreen forest. The result is one of the best fall color shows in the nation!
Of course, autumn in Grand Rapids delights more than just the eye. It's also a perfect time to treat your taste buds to a crisp, juicy apple from our 12,000 acres of apple trees. Travel our scenic country roads through these bountiful orchards, and stop at an authentic cider mill for a refreshing drink and a delicious donut straight out of the oven. Get back in your vehicle for a ride across charming covered bridges a tour of the many antique shops throughout the area.
Here's just one of many great ways to spend a fall day in and around Grand Rapids:
- Start at I-96 and East Beltline Ave. (Exit 38).
- Robinette's Apple Haus and Gift Barn is 4.2 miles to the left at 4 Mile Rd. Enjoy the orchards, corn maze, cider mill, gift store and more.
- Take East Beltline 2.9 miles north to Cannonsburg Rd.
- Right on Cannonsburg Rd. 6 miles to Ramsdell Ave.
- Left on Ramsdell Ave. for a side trip to the Frederik Meijer Nature Preserve
- Left back on to Cannonsburg Rd., 6 miles to Lincoln Lake Rd.
- Right on Lincoln Lake Rd. 1.9 miles to 3 Mile Rd.
- Left on 3 Mile Rd. 1.5 miles to Fallasburg Park Dr.
- Right on Fallasburg Park Dr. 2.4 miles to McPherson St.
- Left on McPherson St. 0.9 miles to Covered Bridge Rd.
- Right on Covered Bridge Rd. 0.6 miles to Fallasburg Covered Bridge.
- The best views of the bridge are from the park after you cross. There is a parking area on the right after the bridge.
- Cross Fallasburg Covered Bridge 0.8 miles to Fallasburg Park Dr.
- Left on Fallasburg Park Dr. 0.7 miles to Lincoln Lake Ave.
- Left on Lincoln Lake Ave. 3.2 miles to Main St. (Lincoln Lake becomes N. Hudson St.)
- Left On Main St. 0.5 miles to Jackson St.
- Lowell has many interesting shops you won't want to miss.
- Right on Jackson 0.5 miles to Grand River Dr.
- Right on Grand River Dr. 8.2 miles to Buttrick Ave.
- Ada Township Park at Grand River and Buttrick has a very nice nature trail and a large assortment of trees.
- Right on Buttrick Ave .0. 4 miles to Thornapple River Dr.
- Right on Thornapple River Dr. 0.3 miles to Fase St.
- To the left of Fase St. is the Ada Covered Bridge, just below the Ada Dam. Parking is available at the ball diamond.
- Right on Thornapple River Dr. from ball diamond, 0.2 miles to Ada Dr. (Thornapple turns slightly right and becomes Headley St.)
- Right on Ada Dr. 0.2 miles to Fulton St.
- Alticor (Amway) World Headquarters are on the right, the visitor center is open daily.
- Left on Fulton St. 5.5 miles to East Beltline Ave.
- Right on East Beltline Ave. 0.7 miles to I-96
- Spring Activities & Events
- Tours & Experiences
- Beer City, USA
- Family Fun
- Outdoor Recreation
- Live Music
- Visual & Performing Arts
- Food Events & Activities
- Drinks, Breweries & Coffee
- Historic Sites
- Pro Sports